How can I convert my overseas licence?

Please see the following procedures:

  1. Make sure your PPL or CPL is from an ICAO- approved country.
  2. Apply for an ARN with CASA
  3. Obtain an Australian CASA medical certificate
  4. Hold or pass an English Language Proficiency assessment
  5. Apply for an ASIC
  6. Fill out CASA form 61-4A
  7. For PPL – A flight review must be completed to make your PPL valid
  8. For a CPL – You will have to sit two CPL theory exams and a flight test. After completion, you will then submit CASA form 61-4B

Do you provide DGCA syllabus for Indian student pilots?

Yes, we do. We provide a 210 hours DGCA syllabus for Indian students. It includes 15 hours of multi-engine training, 5 hours of Pilot In Command time at night and 40 hours of instrument time. This means that you can easily convert your CASA CPL to the DGCA CPL licence back in India.

If I get a Flight Instructor Rating or a Commercial Pilot Licence, will I get a job?

We do hire our students including international students and have flight instructors who are employed in their first flying job. We are committed to the development of future pilots and transitioning them into pilot careers once they hold the required licences. We also offer Pilot Job Guarantee Program, contact us to get more information.

Can I learn to fly with Learn To Fly Melbourne if I am from overseas?

Yes – in fact, most of our students are international. You will need to be able to obtain a visa for entry into Australia, and you will also need to satisfy the relevant course regulatory requirements (which can include English proficiency, medical check, age, and aviation security check). For the Recreational Pilot Licence (RPL), Private Pilot Licence (PPL) and other programs which can be completed in under 3 months, students may be able to learn whilst on a tourist visa.

For the Commercial Pilot Licence (which takes approximately 12 months), students will most likely require a student visa. We are able to put students in contact with a registered migration agent to assist with requirements and the application process. The best source for specific visa requirements is https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/ but please contact us if you require further information.

How to get to Moorabbin Airport from Melbourne City?

The Moorabbin Airport area is served by frequent bus and train services. The bus service has a pickup and drop off point adjacent to the Moorabbin DFO shopping complex. It is a 5-minute walk from the Moorabbin DFO bus stop to Learn To Fly Melbourne’s base at 22-24 Northern Avenue.

There are also two railway stations – Mentone and Cheltenham – that are local to Moorabbin Airport. Buses depart from both stations to the nearby DFO shopping complex. Always check timetables for schedule details, particularly for weekends and evenings. All timetables can be found at https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/timetables

What are the minimum requirements for airline employment?

For direct entry to most airlines, you will require a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL), a Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating (MECIR) and typically theory credits for the Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL). Airlines will publish their minimum criteria for pilot applications on their website.

Most of the information can be found on the airlines’ website.